Sunday, February 3, 2008

Oye! Mi cuerpo pide salsa!

Last night I did manage to find the nerve (without the alcoholic boost I considered) to dress up a little and head over to SOZO for salsa. I only knew one person there, and that person I didn't know very well. However, he danced with me (or tried). Neither of us were very good, and the teachers didn't do very much to assist us. However, it was fun to try. At one point, the friend and I, along with 2 more of his female friends, were dancing with our back to people. I turned around briefly to notice four or five guys just staring in our direction! I felt a little more awkward then. heh. However, thanks to Zumba, I have a better endurance for such things, and I tolerate the awkwardness a little better as well. Oh, and I remember to try to use my hips, too!

Well, one of the guys staring in our direction held out his hand and asked me to dance. I obliged, warning him that I wasn't very good. He kept giving me pointers that helped a lot. He looked Hispanic, but I didn't want to make assumptions or anything. So, he introduced himself as Steven and asked where I was from. I told him, and returned the question. He wanted me to guess, but I refused! I didn't want him to be from Ohio or something and guess Colombia (which would have been my guess). He told me he was from Chile. He also mentioned giving salsa lessons at the rec--he was actually none other than Esteban! Gemma from Zumba talks about Esteban's salsa lessons, and I had thought about going before. However, now that I've met Esteban, I'm definitely going to give it a shot. We had a good time.

I love salsa (but I mostly already knew that!). Shame they didn't play any Gloria Estefan with "Oye! Mi cuerpo pide salsa!" That would have been perfect.

After salsa-ing my heart out, I left my jacket there. However, I was too busy one the phone with a crazy Brit/Aussie tech who talked with a Hilarious accent trying to fix my precious Francesca. All he did was help me wipe my computer clean. boo.

Then I talked to my significant other for a while. He pretty much trumps Esteban hands down, but I already knew that as well. = )

I intend to get much more involved with the Spanish and Italian people. It appears I might not be so bored any more, if I do all this properly. Salsa night, Zumba night, and Spanish and Italian clubs (same night unfortunately), plus, I should go back to Canterbury too. It's almost Lent. Hmm. Doesn't it kind of suck that Valentine's Day is during Lent? Ha, ha...I think that happened in Chocolate. Not a bad movie.

I watched "Funland." It was really good and pretty funny. The tagline for the movie is, "Welcome to the abusement park!" Haha. It actually wasn't bad. "The guy with secret kung fu," however, was mostly as awful as I planned.


Today, however, no salsa or movies for Sarah. I have to put my computer back together and write my Spanish and Italian papers, and study for my Italian test on Monday.
It was pretty terrifying. The only things I had written on my wall calendar for February were tests and major papers, but very very much of my calendar is marked...it's a little intimidating. However, I am a tough cookie, and I shall prevail!

Plus, I'm gonna learn to salsa! = ) I am so pumped!
Hasta luego, amigos mios.
Salsa Sarah

No comments: