Sunday, November 18, 2007

Giving back.

Wednesday I helped cook Thanksgiving dinner at Trinity.

Friday I donated blood on a whim (I was glad I could!).

Today I assisted in spending a solid $5,000 on toys for our church's Christmas program. Such fun!

[Oh, and I don't know how real it is or whether it counts, but supposedly I've been donated tons of rice to small hungry children by playing this game: http://freerice.com ]

I also got to help out with the preschool kids in their Sunday school class. So precious.

It's been a while since I have done anything for anyone other than yours truly, and it feels nice to actually make a contribution to society. I love the Christmas program at church. I have 2 major experiences with it that have made big impressions on me. The first is slightly trivial. It was when Hills (the store, not show) closed down, and there were only 4 or 5 of us shopping. We lined the WHOLE STORE with shopping carts full of toys. The receipt was HUGE! We hung it on our refrigerator. It was such an experience. I loved it.

The other was much more meaningful. One day in high school, I got to take a day off to actually help in the Christmas store we set up. I finally got to put faces to the people we help every year. Funny, they look just like you and me! Imagine! The most rewarding thing was the looks on their faces when they saw just what their child wanted, right there in their reach.
Beautiful.

I love it.

Giving back is so fulfilling. It almost makes up for being so me-oriented every other moment of my life. I want to volunteer in the soup kitchen at Trinity, I think.
I also think I want to give Zumba serious thought. I have yet to go through with that little resolution.

Mmmm.
I feel...strangely disconnected from everything around me. eh. We'll just see what happens.
Que será, será.

Sará(h).








No comments: