Sunday, December 2, 2007

400,000 dead and counting vs. a teddy bear?!?!

Perhaps it's callous and terrible of me to say so, but I'm getting a little frustrated with the amount of attention for the teacher who named that teddy bear "Muhammad." If you go to another country and plan to interact with the people there, you need to know what you're getting yourself into. You need to research the culture and the religion, specifically if the country's government is based on that religion. You need to be aware.

I read an article where it said that she thought it was okay because lots of people are named Muhammad. Ok, maybe that makes sense. It also said that's what the kids wanted to name it. Ok, I see rationale in that as well. However, does anyone else remember the incident with the cartoon of Muhammad? And all the chaos it caused? This notion of naming the bear should have evoked a HUGE red flag regarding that matter.

She screwed up big time, and it really sucks for her, but the latest sentencing I read was 15 days in jail and deportation. That is waaay better than her original sentence (up to 40 lashes, six months in prison and a fine), and better than the call for execution by some of the Sudanese people as well.
So, officials are still trying to sneak her out alive (legitimately, of course).


However, this genocide seems a lot more important to me. Perhaps I'm mistaken. However, the mild discomfort of one white woman in one situation which she got herself into hardly seems to take priority over hundreds of thousands of innocent people being brutally and injustly killed daily. It's been happening for over FIVE YEARS.



I'll stop now. I'm sorry. This just frustrates me. I hate that I can't even write a paper on it, not to mention do anything.

No comments: